Ans. A license from the Georgia Construction Industry Licensing Board is required for the following:
(See O.C.G.A. 43-14-2 for complete definitions and O.C.G.A. 43-14-13 for exemptions.)
1. Conditioned Air Contractor;
2. Electrical Contractor;
3. Low Voltage Contractor;
4. Master Plumber;
5. Journeyman Plumber;
6. Medical Gas Piping;
7. Utility Contractor;
8. Utility Manager; and
9. Utility Foreman.
Any work done in the areas listed above requires that the person or company performing the work hold a valid license or certification in that area.
If a project is solely electrical, conditioned air, plumbing, low voltage or utility contracting, the bidding party must hold a valid license in that field of contracting.

Ans. To obtain a state license as a conditioned air contractor, electrical contractor, low voltage contractor, master plumber, or journeyman plumber or a state certificate as a utility manager, you must:
1. submit a completed application and non-refundable fee with documentation of the required experience and other qualifications and reference information,
2. submit a completed examination scheduling form with fee, and
3. pass the examination.
To obtain a state medical gas piping you must submit a completed application documenting completion of an approved training program and listing a current valid Georgia journeyman or master plumber license. There is no charge for this certification.
To obtain a state utility foreman license, you must submit a completed application documenting completion of an board approved training program along with the non-refundable application fee.
To obtain a state utility contractor license, a business must submit a completed application documenting the employment of a state certified utility manager and the adoption of a safety policy along with the non-refundable application fee.
For a description of the licensure requirements, see Board Rule 121-2.

Ans. You may download application forms from our page (www.sos.state.ga.us/plb/construct) by going to the download forms link on the left hand side, or, contact the board office:
237 Coliseum Drive, Macon, Georgia 31217-3858
(478) 207-2440 [Telephone] (866) 888-9718 [Fax]
Website: www.sos.ga.gov/plb/construct
Please provide your name, mailing address and the type of license you are requesting. You will be mailed an application packet that contains:
1. An application form;
2. Examination scheduling form with the exam dates (if applicable)
3. Examination reference list;
4. Examination reference sources;
5. Review Course list;
6. Board Law and Rules Excerpts

Ans. To be approved to take the examination, you must be approved by the Board. You must submit to the Board an application fee and application form documenting your qualification. The Board uses a professional examination service (AMP) to conduct the examination. To be scheduled to take the examination, you must submit an examination fee and examination scheduling form to AMP. A fee is set to cover the cost of each activity.
The correctly completed application form and fee must be received by the board office at least 60 days before your first examination. Please see the examination dates and locations listed here on this site. The examination scheduling form and fee must be received by AMP at least 40 days before each examination you take.
Approved applications are considered active for two (2) years from the approval date or the last test date, whichever is later. If you are approved, but do not take the exam within 2 years, you must begin the process again. You must submit a scheduling form and fee each time you wish to take the examination.
You may reference Examination Information for further information regarding examination dates, times, and location

Ans. The non-refundable application fee is $30.00, except for the $50.00 utility contractor application fee. The current examination fees are listed on each scheduling form.
There is no fee required for the initial license. Upon passing the examination, a license will be mailed to you. The license should arrive within approximately 6 weeks of the examination date. However, each licensee is responsible for obtaining continuing education. See Board Rule 121-4 for specific requirements.
Q. Is my out of state license recognized in Georgia?
A. To contract for covered services in Georgia, you must hold a Georgia license. The Georgia Board does have agreements to accept the results of some examinations conducted by other state boards. The Georgia Board will accept results of approved examinations conducted by:
1. Florida (electrical and low voltage),
2. North Carolina (electrical and low voltage),
3. South Carolina (conditioned air and electrical), and
4. Texas (conditioned air).
5. Louisiana (conditioned air)
With your application, you must submit a certification letter from the respective state board verifying that you hold a license and have passed the state examination.

Ans. To contract in another state, you must meet the requirements of the other state. The Georgia Board does have agreements under which the results of your Georgia examination may be accepted by other states. See the Answer above for a listing of the states. To determine the requirements of another state, you must contact the other state board directly.

Ans. Please see current information on state licensing for general and residential contractors at www.sos.state.ga.us/plb/contractors    Also, contact the Secretary of State’s First Stop Business Information Center. If you contract for work from any of the trades listed above, you must hold the appropriate license from the Construction Industry Licensing Board.

Ans. You must apply for renewal prior to the expiration date. A renewal postcard reminder is mailed to all current licensees approximately 8 weeks prior to renewal. You should advise the Board office in writing if you have a change of address either by e-mail or regular mail. The renewal fee for a two-year period is $75.00, except for the $35.00 renewal fee for journeyman plumber and utility foreman licenses. To qualify for renewal, conditioned air contractors, electrical contractors, and plumbers must have completed continuing education. See board rule 121-4 for complete details.

Ans. See Board Rule 121-4 for the requirements for continuing education. Persons holding a conditioned air contractor license, electrical contractor license, or plumber license must complete at least 4 hours per year of instruction related to their profession. Courses must be conducted by a college, vocational-technical school, or trade association. Conditioned air and electrical contractors may also complete courses conducted by a utility or equipment manufacturer. To determine when courses are held, you must contact one of these agencies directly.

Ans. Businesses are required to meet requirements of the federal, state, and local governments. To determine federal and local requirements, you will need to contact those agencies directly. A listing should be available in the government section of your telephone directory. To contact information for state agencies, reference the First Stop Business Information Center or contact the state directory assistance at 404-656-2000.